HISTORY OF ST. ANDREW’S UNITED CHURCH
St. Andrew's United Church sponsored Scouts & Cubs during the 1930s...
1931/32 - 14 scouts – Scout Master; Wib MacLaughlin, Asst. Scout Master : Ed. Shultz
1932/33 ?? Cubs,Cub Master: Wib McLaughlin, Asst. Cub Master: Ed. Shultz & Earl Taylor
1932/33 - 18 scouts: Scout Master: Wib. McLaughlin, Asst. Scout Master: Ed Shultz and Earl Taylor
1933/34 - 18 cubs: Cub Master: Wib McLaughlin, Asst. Cub Master: Ed. Schultz & Earl Taylor
1933/34 - 13 scouts - Scout Master Wib. McLaughlin, Asst. Scout Master: Ed. Shultz & Earl Taylor,
1934/35 - 20 cubs Cub Master: Rev. Donald Bruce Gordon
From 1940-45 Rev. Hubley served during the war years. His only son died in France during the invasion. Mr. Hubley, a widower, took great pride in his housekeeping, The teenage girls of the congregation used to go and help him after school to do his housework. Some of these girls were Elaine Tennant, Vera Zadow, Lavina Law and Sonia McQuestion. The women of the church used to houseclean the church prior to a new minister’s arrival. Their famous “scrub gang’s are now history but despite the fact that they would scour the church and manse they always had time for fun. Despite the war, rationing, etc. the work of the church went on. The members of the WMS and WA made quilts for the mission bale and also for sale at their annual bazaar. Many of these quilts were quilted at the manse and Rev. Hubley would read to the women as they quilted.
November 5, 1944 the anniversary service was held and at this service the members of the choir wore their gowns for the first time and also the singing of the Lord’s Prayer was introduced into the services.
Mrs. Hawley Smith, Pres. of the Women’s Missionary Society and Mrs. Harold McKay organized the Chalk River Mission Circle on March 9, 1945 at the home of Mrs. Alan Blimke.
Rev. Philip Ross served temporarily in 1946 but refused our call to settle in the charge and become our minister.
The years 1946-49 Rev. Carl Dean and his wife Isabel lived and ministered in Chalk River. They organized a Young People’s Union. The first list of officers were: President: Fred Wilson, (brother of Bud); Vice President: Georgette Law, Sec. Treas. Richard Moffat, Program Convenor: Tom Tennant, Worship Convenor: Vera Zadow, Recording Convenor: Margaret Hunt.
In 1946 we were approached by the Deep River congregation with the view of sharing our minister. June 2, 1946 a committee consisting of two members from our congregation, Mrs. Gardiner and Ken Cuthbert and Dr. Parks and S. Wallbridge of Deep River Community Church was formed.
In 1947 the Community Church asked that the minister live in Deep River.
The following resolution was passed by the Board and forwarded to the congregation for consideration and action: “It is recommended that when and if suitable living accommodations be available at Deep River that this congregation authorize the Trustees to take necessary steps to sell the manse, proceeds from such sale to be invested in bonds to be held for replacement purposes when and if the need arises”. The age of the present building as well as the cost to renovate the same and the depreciation if rented or left vacant were all carefully considered before the action was taken.
In 1947 the Young People Group had a membership of 27 members, the Explorer Group 39 members, Baby Band 39 babies on the roll. In 1948 The Greyhound Trail Ranger Group was formed for boys age 10-15 years.
January 1947 a letter from Mrs. Harry Leach was read asking the congregation’s permission to place a memorial window in memory of her father in the window nearest the pew in which he sat. This stained glass window was eventually removed from the old church and was placed at the back of our present church.
Jan. 1948, Mr. Dean reported having been notified that a house at Deep River would be available for his use early in the spring. Following this information it was decided that the Official Board be in charge of considering further the prospect of either renting or selling the manse. May 3rd a ballot had been prepared by the Board of Trustees – results of the ballot was 13-1 in favour of renting the manse and that the rent be placed at a minimum of $25. monthly.
At an official board meeting on Feb. 17, 1947 a discussion followed as to what constitution we were following – Presbyterian or United Church and after much discussion it was decided to send a recommendation to the congregation on motion by Ira Cuthbert and W. Harper that the secretary write this recommendation that we recommend that from this date we follow the constitution set up by the United Church.
A note of appreciation was moved to both Mr. & Mrs. Dean for their unfailing efforts on behalf of the congregation and especially the young people of the church and expressed the hope that very soon he might be restored to full health again.
Dec. 7, 1948, 30 boys and girls and Mrs. Harold McKay met in the basement of the church for the purpose of organizing a Mission Band. With the permission of the W.M.S., the Mission Band was formed with Mrs. Harold McKay as our Superintendent. After many suggestions “The Workers” was chosen as a name for the Band. The first officers elected were: Pres. Tom Cuthbert, Rec. Sec. Daryl Blimke, Treas. Beth Cuthbert.
From 1949-51 Rev. Howard Dickinson became our minister and served the two congregations.
From 1951 to 1953 Rev. Fulton Vanderburgh became our minister. It was during his ministry that building plans were first considered. In 1951 the Rolphton Community Church joined Chalk River and Deep River charges and we now became a 3-point charge. In June 1951 a motion was made that we offer the Pt. Alexander Church to the Presbyterian congregation with the understanding they deliver us 10,000 ft of rough lumber, sizes as specified, and the transaction of $1.00. A delegation from Pt. Alexander heard the offer and agreed to let us know as soon as possible if they would accept or not. Rev. Vanderburgh’s ministry with us was ended tragically when he was killed in a car accident near Cobden coming home from a church meeting.
April 5, 1953 – Easter Sunday the sacrament of the Lords Supper was held with 122 communicants, a record for Chalk River.
Rev. Captain J.A. (Jock) Davidson a Padre at CFB Petawawa, also served the charge for about a year and helped us through many difficult times while we were without a full-time minister following Deep River’s withdrawal from the two charges. Over a period of three years, 1953-56, there were also other padres and many faithful laymen and women from Deep River, Pembroke, as well as St. Andrew’s who took services and helped keep St. Andrew’s functioning. In 1956 we sold the old Presbyterian Church at Point Alexander back to the continuing Presbyterians.
April 25, 1954, the Mission Circle girls dedicated a Bible in memory of Rev. Vanderburgh. It is the prayer of the girls that the book may be a “lamp unto our feet and light unto our path”.
Rev. Harold Hilder served during this trying period.
January 1954 Sunday School showed an enrolment of 103 members.
Easter Sunday, April 18, 1954, the service was conducted by Rev. Skelly of Deep River. At this service the new organ was dedicated in memory of those boys who paid the supreme sacrifice in the service of their country.
Jan. 1955 Rev. Davidson suggested the possibility of enlarging the session possibly by adding one younger member and maybe one lady member but no action was taken. Rev. Davidson died in Victoria on Mar. 15, 2005 at the age of 85.
In April, 1956 Mr. Eustace presented a possibility of having Eganville and Chalk River as a joint pastoral charge. The suggested salary would be Eganville $2800 and Chalk River $1400. It was moved that this agreement be acceptable to us as a congregation.
In 1956, Rev. Donald Lute and family came to work and worship with us. We shared this ministry with Melville United, Eganville and that’s where Rev. Lute and family lived.
In 1957 the church was raised and a new cement foundation was made, a porch was put on the back, new lights were bought upon completion and electricity being installed. The gas lamps were then thrown out.
Around 1957 the old manse was sold to Herb Crigger and is still being used today as a private residence. This building was never moved and is located on Wilson St. beside St. Oswald’s Anglican Church. The Mission Hall was subsequently sold to Emerson Hollmer and rebuilt as his home and is still being used as a residence by Ray Brisebois on the corners of Church and Station streets.
The “Cora McKay” Evening Auxiliary of St. Andrew’s United Church was organized on Jan. 6, 1960. So called to honour Mrs. McKay who had been the Advisory president of the Mission Circle which she helped organized on March 9, 1945 and remained in that office until the Circle graduated to evening auxiliary.
Eganville decided to call its own minister. Mr. Lute decided to answer our call and came to Chalk River. A Manse had to be built for our minister and a new church was badly needed.
The “Wells Organization” was hired to help St. Andrew’s raise money for a new manse and church. Mr. Ken Cuthbert was chosen as building chairman and much of the credit goes to him for the splendid work done. Rev. Lute and many other men in the congregation also gave of their time and energy in the building and planning. The new manse was completed at a cost of $16,344.34 which included lots bought at a cost of $1150. for the manse and church.
In 1960, Mr. Lute accepted our call and for the first time St. Andrew’s became a self-supporting church with a minister supported by our own congregation.
Dec. 18, 1961 a meeting of the old and new executive of the Evening Auxiliary and WMS and WA was held. The meeting was chaired by Mr. Lute and was attended by six members. Mr. Lute explained how the new organization, United Church Women (UCW) would operate in our church. The first meeting of the United Church Women was held on Jan. 11, 1962. Mr. Lute spoke to the group stressing the point of working together to give more strength to the church. The purposes of the two groups were mentioned as was the purpose of our new group. The words “co-operate” as well as “togetherness” were stressed. The first UCW President was Rita MacDonald.
May 28, 1961, the sod was turned for the new St. Andrew’s church on Joseph St. Those taking part were Rev. Lute, Mrs. Wm. Cuthbert (who turned the sod being the oldest member of the congregation) Ken Cuthbert, Cora McKay, Curtis Law and Eric Leach.
June 17, 1962, corner stone of church laid, donated by Mr. & Mrs. Maurice Reiche.
Nov. 4, 1962 the Christian Education part of the new building was dedicated. On that day, Sunday School opened in the old church on Main Street then marched in a body with the teachers and children to the new church where the remainder of the Sunday School hour continued to its close.
Dec. 23, 1962, the first babies to be baptised in the new church were: Carol Lynn Shultz, daughter of Willis and Ruth Shultz and Sharon Gwen Shultz, daughter of Gordon and Lina Shultz.
July 6, 1963 first couple to be married in the new church was Daryl and Lorna Blimke.
Sept. 8, 1963, the sanctuary, cross and communion table were dedicated. The Communion table was donated and dedicated in memory of Mr. & Mrs. Alfred MacDonald by their family. The Cross was donated by the Mission Circle girls and dedicated to the memory of Elliette (Kelly) McKay (wife of Ivan McKay).
In 1963, Rev. Lute moved to Bradford, Ont. and the Rev. Doug Blair was called to serve the church until 1967 when he left to become a padre in the armed forces. During his stay, Rev. Blair was instrumental in revitalizing the youth of the church as well as the community. Camp LauRen also became a large part of the ministry.
On July 11, 1965, pews were installed in the church and were dedicated in memory of loved ones.
Feb. 16, 1968, offering plates were dedicated by Rev. Doug Blair and were donated by members of the Mission Circle.
In 1968, Rev. Gerald Fee and family came to Chalk River.
May 16, 1969 – Dedication of the balcony took place in memory of Mrs. Mona Gutzman (sister of Glenda Wegner) and donated by her parents Mr. & Mrs. Gordon King.
May 11, 1969: Green antependia for pulpit and lectern dedicated in honour of Mr. & Mrs. Harry Leach, placed there by their children. The pulpit and lectern were donated by the family of the Late Jim Law in memory of loved ones. The baptismal font was donated by Mrs. Clara Wilson and dedicated in memory of her husband, Wm. Wilson.
January 15, 1970: The first women elders of St. Andrew’s were elected and they were: Isabel Lamont and Cora McKay.
January, 1972, the new United Church-Anglican hymnary was used for the first time. Mr. Fee’s stay amongst us was all too brief and his failing health influenced his leaving. He died in January, 1973.
Rev. Ross Routliffe came to Chalk River in 1972. In 1974, the Protestant Congregation of the Rolphton Community Church decided that it must discontinue its operation. Another decision of significance was made. Faced with rising costs and the loss of Rolphton’s financial support, St. Andrew’s Official Board made tentative application for financial support from the United Church’s Division of Mission. November’s “Every Member Canvass” brought a splendid response from the people of “St. Andrew’s – an increase of 25% in pledged financial support. This, along with the promise of greater assistance from the Lau-Ren Camp Corporation, made the Official Board reconsider its application for a Mission Grant. “Let’s go it on our own!” was the decision.
Rolphton notified Chalk River that they would be closing their doors on December 31, 1974.
1975, we celebrated our 100th anniversary. Former and present members of the congregation were invited to get involved in many family events during the year and were treated to four outside speakers during services. A homecoming weekend was held in June. The Old Time service held at Thanksgiving brought out many varieties of old time dress, and a large congregation. The climax of the year was November 1st when a banquet was held and a very joyful gathering enjoyed the company of Rev. J.A. Davidson, Sean Conway, the Reeve of the Village and our own Minister.
A letter of resignation was tendered in September by Rev. Routliffe to become effective Jan. 1, 1977. The Rev. Bill Stephenson became our minister in 1977 and remained with us for two years.
1979, Rev. Andy McKee became our student minister. St. Andrew’s and Camp Lau-Ren joined together to become a two-point charge. In 1980, the Official Board approved a request by the Executive Comm. that St. Andrew’s /Camp Lau-Ren Pastoral Charge seek approval for Anderson McKee to remain on this charge after his ordination. In 1981 we bade farewell to Andy and Laurene McKee and after a period of time, welcomed into our church life, Rev. Jack and Elma Roundell.
Rev. Donald and Mrs. Lute came to St. Andrew’s and renewed old friendships on our church anniversary in 1981.
In 1982, St. Andrew’s was served by two ordained supply ministers, Rev. Jack Roundell and Rev. Arthur Lentz. They were part of our church life until October, when the Rev. Andy McKee returned to us from Coe Hill, Ont. Jack and Arthur “retired” again. 1983, Rev. Andy McKee was inducted as full time minister.
July 29, 1884 the Bible on the communion table was dedicated in memory of Ken Tooley and was presented by his wife Dell and family.
The Bible stand on the communion table was donated by Ken and Vera Zadow. The candle holders on the communion table were donated by the Coxford family.
The purple communion cloth on the communion table was donated by the Leach family in loving memory of their mother Ruth and brother Bill.
Andy resigned in 1987 and we welcomed Mark Giuliano as our student minister. Mark served as student minister until 30 June 1989 when Rev. Bill Bresnahan served us as ordained supply. Rev. Bresnahan’s induction was held on October 6, 1991. Bill served St. Andrew’s congregation until August, 1993.
In May, 1995, Rev. Cory Vermeer-Cuthbert was ordained as a Minister in the United Church of Canada and thus began her full-time ministry at St. Andrew’s – and became the first female minister at St. Andrew’s.
In 1998, pews were installed in the balcony.
The chairs in the sanctuary were donated by the McMahon family in memory of their parents, Alfie and Joyce McMahon.
January 1, 2000, approval was granted to reduce the minister’s time from full time to three quarter time.
Rev. Cory submitted her resignation as minister of St. Andrew’s effective Feb. 14, 2001.
New choir gowns were purchased for the choir. Doug Tennant made the crosses that the choir members wear. They are called “the working man’s cross” and are made from horseshoe nails.
The light on the piano was donated by Roy and Phoebe Brooks on April 13, 2003 in loving memory of infant twin daughters.
On Oct. 1, 2002, Rev. Andy McKee commenced a nine-month contract with St. Andrew’s. He terminated his time with us June 30, 2003.
On July 1, 2003, St. Andrew’s United Church was truly blessed with the appointment of our first diaconal minister, Rev. Laurie Ann Storring, to provide leadership to our congregation.
40 Joseph St, PO Box 190, Chalk
River, Ontario, Canada K0J 1J0
Phone: 613-589-2312 General Contact
Copyright © 2005-2021
St. Andrews United
Church, Chalk River, Ontario
Site Hosting and Web Donated by: D.Lemire August, 2021